Saturday 18 October 2014

Do NO HARM, take NO SHIT!



One of the most mindboggling applications that have revolutionized the world is undoubtedly – WhatsApp. Most people’s world is incomplete without using it. Initially people used it for fun to exchange photographs etc. But now, the whole use of WhatsApp has changed! People have started to use it widely for professional purposes alongwith connecting with loved ones. 

Even I haven’t spared myself from WhatsApp. I use it quite frequently. Apart from checking the messages that come, I love to do one more thing, which most people might not be doing! I love to check the ‘status’ of people on WhatsApp. While some use the basic ‘ready status messages’, most are very innovative. At times, it speaks about them, their mood, their location etc. I love reading them!

One day as I was leisurely scrolling, I hit upon this awesome status of my dear friend – Nikita Narang! The moment I read it, I went, ‘WOW!’ It read – “Do no Harm, take no Shit!” The moment I read it, I had learnt a brilliant lesson! It couldn’t have been put in a simpler way.

There are times when I want to be ‘nice’. In this process, people take me for granted and carry on in their lives. They will bank on me when they need me, but otherwise their behaviour is not that great. But, I seemingly don’t want to spoil my image of being a ‘goody-goody’ person, hence I allow people to treat me like that. I tell myself, ‘One day they will realise…’ 

  • An employee has been taking things for granted, yet I don’t say anything and allow things to drift.
  • My wife is not being given due respect at home, yet I keep mum thinking – what can I say? 
  • My friends keep passing sarcastic comments again and again, but I find it tough to speak my heart.
  • My boss doesn’t allow me to take a leave even on genuine reasons, but for the fear of loss of job, I don’t want to speak up.
  • I am being a very sincere and obedient son. For some reason, my father finds only the faults and never appreciates. I listen to everything not even attempting to explain my point of view. 

Let me clarify that I am not saying that we must fight it out or attack the other person (verbally, of course). The point I am trying to make here is that while I will be a nice human being, it is my responsibility to ensure that I am not taken for granted by people. At places where I must speak up / act, I will need to do that.

It will be foolish to keep waiting until people realize and change themselves. It might take too long or may never happen at all. But I only have one lifetime to live. I must ensure that I feel proud of the way I live. Will I ever feel proud of myself when I know that I am being taken for a ride and I am doing nothing about it? 

Vis-à-vis my life
From the moment I have read Nikita’s status, something within me has changed. Am I an authority on this yet? I don’t think so. I have a long way to go. There have been enough times where I have allowed people to take me for granted because I wanted to save my image of ‘a nice person!’

Not anymore! I will do everything possible to ensure I feel proud about myself. I will not allow anyone to take me for a ride. But, keeping in mind that – I will always talk with total respect and never put anyone down. I shall not use foul language, I will not shout, I will not be aloof, I will not speak anything being emotional and throwing tantrums. I will communicate, but with total respect for the other person.

Nikita, if you are reading this, you have given me a super learning. I will ensure from now on – I will DO NO HARM, but at the same time, TAKE NO SHIT!

Love,
Amit Kothari
always upgrading … 

(P.S.. – Do change your WhatsApp status from the default one! I will be waiting to read it)

No comments:

Post a Comment